Monday, October 4, 2010

More love nga Durresi!

It seems as if my time has been flying by, full of good memories and treasured moments. It is a wonderful feeling that as I sit and try to write this out that only Albanian is coming to mind. All these words, and expressions, that seem to make so much more sense and have so much more meaning behind them than what we have in the English language. At the same time, I feel restricted in a way because I fear that my words might start sounding like that of a first grader. So, bare with me as I might fall back into the basics of english grammar.

I have had a wonderful time in Durres full of visits and laughs and moments that have been burned into my heart and have no doubt changed who I am. I have had sleep overs, coffee dates, eaten great food, and have pleasured myself with a few more Z's here and there and have soaked up more of the area... now that I can walk a little slower and really see more of this place that I love so dearly.

Friday was a great day, had another long run in the morning and took some time to just sit and reflect on the balcony at the Cenollari's house while hanging my laundry out to try. Looking over the city and just thinking about all the magical and amazing, life altering experiences I have experienced here as well as the lives of so many Albanians. It was a great moment, a beautiful selfish moment to just be me, perched over Durres and the Adriatik Sea. Later in the day, I picked up Flori and Arseda from school and we went to get Nesibe and Lefterie for a Young Women's activity. I totally felt like a missionary again, it was great. We took the girls out and walked around and ended up at "Fly" a new restaurant that overlooks the waterfront and port. It was a wonderful evening, perfect weather out.
We took the girls home afterwards and when I arrived to Nesibe and Lefterie's house to drop them off, their father was pretty upset that they were out. No reason really, just got upset. I had had an amazing conversation with Lefterie and she was able to express her passion for the Gospel but that her Father was greatly against it. She knew that there were plenty things that she could do, and does, to remain faithful. Having a muslim background and family, I can't imagine what it's like to be 16 and have to go against that grain. I dropped them off, and was holding back the tears all the way home. I got in the elevator and when I saw Adriatik I broke into tears, he hugged me and tried to get me to smile. What soothed me was little Floriana, 11 years old now, in her sweet soft spoken English says, "Motra Kati, you cannot be upset for her Dads anger. He is not right in the head!" This made me laugh and she hugged me. She then decided to do what any girl needs to do in that kind of moment.... pamper herself. We got on her bed and painted our toenails. She insisted on making these little flowers out of post-it notes to put on my toes. I let her. I feel asleep and woke up to Arseda bringing me breakfast in bed and Floriana putting more flowers on my toenails. It was so sweet. The breakfast was delicious as well!
Later that day we drove out to the beach and I finally got to get in the water! OH... after all that time being surrounded by water and not going in... it was great to... well.. just DIVE IN.
We had brought food for a picnic and had a great BBQ. The weather was beautiful and we were the only ones out there. A man came by that owned a nearby restaurant and he told us to come and sit on his patio, he took out a table and chairs for us too. Albanians are so generous. Always giving more than they have.
After we left the beach, we headed back so I could get to Denada's to watch General Conference. We were going to have a slumber party with Denada, Jonida, and Arjona. Floriana wanted to come with and stay the night, and that she did. We got clothes ready for the night and for church the following morning and headed over to her house. The walk over was so precious to me. We shared my iPod listening to random music, holding hands, and munching on sunflower seeds. She always had this HUGE smile on her face. It was adorable. Conference was great, as expected. It felt so good to listen to it in Albania, not sure why. We followed conference with dinner, and Albania movie "Martesa e Avokatit", and the "Bride & Prejudice". I slept with Flori and she was in the middle of the bed all night snuggling right up to me. It was so tender. When I woke up in the morning, she was staring at me. All she said was, "Morning, I love you!" With that big smile on her face.
Church on Sunday was great. I got to see everyone and had a wonderful time catching up with everyone. I felt so welcomed and so loved. It was fast and testimony meeting and I was deeply moved with the devotion of Justine Dodaj, a member that has been sick for a while and couldn't go to church. All she had was the scriptures and her faith to give her the strength she needed. It moved me. How much we take for granted on a regular basis. I also enjoyed seeing the Elders up there exposing their raw emotions and love of the Gospel. I loved seeing the transformation the Elders took on my mission, from wild and crazy (and rather annoying) boys in the MTC, to polished and refined spiritual soldiers. It's always a joy to see that again.

After church I went back to Nesibe and Lefterie's and was so happy that their Dad wasn't home! We had a great visit and were able to say a prayer together, just like old times. Lefterie offered it and it was so powerful, no doubt. I love these girls like my own sisters.
Familja Cenollari.... aren't they just amazing! Look at them!
Now, here we are as a complete family!
I stayed the last night in Durres with Motra Muca, Sonila's mom. (The girl I've been staying with in Germany). We stayed up rather late, swapping stories and just hanging out really. It was a good visit. She is an amazing cook.
My last morning in Durres was another selfish moment that I enjoyed so dearly. There are certain professions/businesses that are on every block here in Alabania. They consist of: Bread Store, Bars, Tailor, Grocery Store, Gambling Club, Bakery, and the Hair Stylist. I spoke of going to visit a dear friend Shqiponja earlier this week. Well, her daughter is a hair stylist and I went to spend the morning with her. The reason why this was a selfish moment, is because on my mission when we didn't have work, or it was frrrrrreezing cold out, or if I just missed my girls back home I would always walk by one of these places and see girls sitting in their talking, watching a video, or just being together. I took the pleasure of reconnecting with Jona while she redyed my blue little spark of color, she painted my nails, and did my makeup. It was so fun and relaxing and there was no pressure at all. It was splendid in deed!

I have so much more to share, and will try and get on in the morning to write another post. Its a good thing that I haven't had anytime, believe me. Until next time.....

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful that you have been given this opportunity to reconnect with these wonderful people!! I know they will be a part of your heart forever...what a blessing! I love your fantastic smile in these pictures!!! Enjoy each moment...stay safe!!
    Love Forever....MOM

    ReplyDelete