Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wildhaus

We went to Wildhaus on Sunday night where their cabin... Swiss Chalet... is in the mountains just one hour away. It was a quick, beautiful, picturesque drive. The sun was close to setting and it slowly but surely melted into my most treasured time of the day. The moment before sunrise where everything is glowing.

We kept winding our way through these cute little towns, over bridges and up into the mountains. At one point we came around the bend and saw this majestic view of this mountain that took by breath away... a Geologists dream! If I may excuse myself in advance... but the anticlines and synclines of the various rock layers was amazing! My summer spent as a Geological Surveyor for my Professor came alive and I was reading the Geology, the faults, the dips, everything. I was in heaven! Look for yourself!


Now... on to Simon Ammann. A Gold Medal Olympian from the SLC and Vancouver Olympics in ski jumping. Here an excerpt from Wikipedia:

On February 13, 2010, competing in his fourth Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia. Ammann won the gold medal in the Individual Normal Hill event. He became the first man in Olympic history to win gold medals in the Individual Normal Hill event in two Olympics. On February 20, 2010, he also won the gold medal in the Individual Large Hill event at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, thus becoming the first man to win gold medals in both individual ski jumping events in two Olympic games, as well as the most decorated Swiss Olympic athlete of all time. His first jump was 144 meters. His second jump was 138 meters.
He is from Unterwasser which is two villages away from Wildhaus. This view is from the Müllers living room, looking directly onto the sight where Amman trained to be an Olympian. His name is all over the town with banners, flags, on hotels, stores, he's everywhere.



Mon repos.... French for my retreat, my relaxing place. They have an adorable little chalet they have named Mon Repos and that is exactly what it is. Small, quaint, and tucked on a vibrant green hillside. Lots of flowers and bright red shutters. Shutters are something that require an entire post for themselves... so you can fully appreciate their detail and personality!

A view looking into my room where I stayed. I had a seperate entrance or a small trap door from the center of their kitchen that dropped down into the lower level. I had old wooden shutters with a heart cut out of the center of them. Everything inside was wood and smelled delightful!
We hiked everyday that we were in Wildhaus (Wildhouse). The first day we went up towards the mountain in the picture above which is located behind the house. Their grandaughter Samira came with us to the cabin and she was adorable. We didn't speak the same language but could easily get along by playing games, making faces, and sneaking her chocolate. I knew she would get tired on our hike, so I packed some yummy chocolate in my bag. At one point she stopped and said she would go no further. I simply took out the bait... waived it in the air... and she took a bite!


More pictures to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment