Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Shqiperia....

I arrived to Albania last night, late, and stayed at my friends the Agalliu's in Durres. I fell asleep to the oh so familiar sounds of dogs barking in the streets and people chatting. I no doubt drifted into my sweet slumber with the most content smile on my face. Who knew something could be so comforting. I set off this morning after feeling rested in search for my dear friends that I left over 2 years ago. I tell you what, kneeling down in prayer this morning and asking the Lord (in Albanian of course) to help me find the people I want to see, was strikingly similar to all those mornings of my mission days. It was exhilarating. I set off with no doubt it would all work out.

First Encounter: Shqiponja Brahimi, a woman that I spent a lot of time with in Durres. I had no problems finding her apartment, her staircase, and her door. I didn't even second guess a step, it was so natural. I walked up, and noticed the door was open! I talked to her husband and he invited me to come back this afternoon! Well, that was easy!

Second Encounter: A Familiar Face. I was walking to the Bank and saw someone selling beads on the sidewalk that looked incredibly familiar to the mother of one of my favorite most cherished families, Familija Osmanallaraj. I saw her, she looked at me and the most comforting "Welcome Home" feeling flooded over me. We embraced and time stood still. The busy street, the noise, everything just faded away and we stood there hand in hand. She wiped the hair out of my face and the tears off my cheek. Oh, how amazing it was to see those eyes again and to hear that voice. Hearing what she had to say to me after all these years was so sweet and precious. It was as if not a single second had passed by. All those worries about whatever, not being able to speak or understand or if they would be upset I didn't make it back sooner, all just melted away. I'll be waiting at their house when the girls come home from school. This will be such a dream come true for me. Seeing those girls once again.

Third Encounter: The Banana Man. For those that followed my letters from my mission might remember a Banana Man that I bought Bananas from every week. His name is Gezim and is such a sweet man. I wanted to walk to the Market and sure enough, there he was, guarding his post. He saw me, did a double take, and... embraced me. He was so happy to see me. His wife wasn't too far off and she did the same thing. He remembered everything about me, and of course, as expected... asked about my Dad and if he was in good health. I love these people, did I mention that? He asked if I could sit down with him for a while. All those times as a missionary I had to decline the invitation to "Pime nje Kafe" (aka sit and drink coffee and just shoot the breeze), well I was able to take him up on that offer. He asked if it was because I was a "Nun" that I wasn't married. I laughed out loud! I can't help but still laugh. That's me! The Nun! Sister Katherine!

Fourth Encounter: The bank. The ATM wasn't working and the security guard was trying to help me. HILARIOUS!!! He took my card out of my hand and read everything to me in Albanian. Then he recruited his buddies, they all have buddies that just hang out while they are at work. They take turns. So, I had 4 guys discussing my bank accounts and my card wasn't even in my hand. Now, I'm sure that would make just about everyone panic, but until you know these people I don't know if I could even begin to explain. After a group effort, I was able to get some leke. thank goodness!

I know that the encounters will keep on going. It's not even noon and I have a booked afternoon and tomorrow morning! I love it. I absolutely love it. No cell phone either. Just happen stance and knowing that the Lord will direct my path, especially in this magical place.

Ciao for now!

-Sister Katherine

1 comment:

  1. HOORAY... you are back in your sweet Albania! I am so so glad you are there, safe, and everything is better than you had hoped! I remember Mr. Banana man & so glad you got to visit. Funny that he thought you were a Nun... your wardrobe is way too colorful for that sista! black and white are more my colors!So happy the Lord is taking you to exactly where your heart needs to go! Soak it all up my love! Every single minute of it! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete