Thursday, September 30, 2010

Durres, Albania

Durres- My Home away from Home. Since my last post, so much has happened. I have been bouncing around town colliding with Albanians as I go. Some as planned, some as God would have it. Either way it has been absolutely delightful. Starting on Tuesday afternoon with my dear friend Eri. I went to Eri's house and she wasn't there. As I came back down her staircase I was supposed to go left, but went right at the last minute. As I came around the corner, there she was. I ran up to her and she just kept looking at me like "Who is this person running right at me?!?!?". I think she realized who I was about the moment my arms enfolded around her. She just kept laughing. It was such a sweet reunion. I got to see her little girl (who is not so little) Ema. She was 2 1/2 when I was here last and she remembered me! Amazing. I spent the day with them, had lunch, and we walked around.
After spending some time with them I made some plans to go to my sweet Cenollari family at 5:30. Some of you might remember at my homecoming I spoke a lot about this family with such an amazing conversion to the Gospel.... well that is this family. Adriatik, Antoneta, Areseda, and Floriana. I came around the corner at 5:21 and Floriana was standing watch on their 10th floor balcony waiting for me. She ran in the house, and out came Arseda and Antoneta. I couldn't hold back the tears (and that blasted elevator couldn't have gone any slower!). It was so good to see them and hear their voices again. As soon as I entered in their house, it just felt like home. So comfortable. Antoneta had to leave for an appt, so I stayed behind with the girls and waited for Adriatik to come home. When the door bell rang, I answered it and he was so surprised. I love this family. I have been staying with them all week and we've pushed the beds together in the girls' room and have slumber parties every night. I get up with them and walk them to school in the morning while they practice their English.

On Wednesday after taking the girls to school I went for a long run in the rain and the looks I got were hilarious. Running is rarely seen here, unless you're playing futboll or running from a wild pack of city dogs. But running in the rain is even more insane. I was completely drenched but it felt great. I ran all along the area of where I worked the most, knowing all the roads better than the back of my hand. Later that day I met up with Eri and Ema. Ema wanted to spend the day with me, so off we went. It was sunny out, but she wanted to take her umbrella with her. She's adorable. We went to visit my friend Shqiponja for lunch. We had fish and salad which was amazing and full of flavor which is typical for Albanian food (I'm not complaining!). Ema ate more than I did! I treated her to an ice cream afterwards and then we went to pick her brothers up at school. They remembered me by the "Motra with the eyes like the ocean." That made me smile.
After meeting them after school, I was supposed to head over to meet Denada and Arjona to go out for the night. Denada told me to meet over at Arjona's house around 7:00. I allowed myself enough time to have a leisurely stroll over to her house and arrived about 10 min early. I wasn't there for more than 1 minute when I heard, "Motra Langford!" I looked up and saw Sokol, one of my absolutely devoted and wonderful English students. He spoke English very well, but always did his homework and reading, volunteered and helped every class. He became a sidekick to all the missionaries and is such a sincere and genuine person. I was incredibly happy to see him. We chatted for quite a while and he said he doesn't even live in that area but that he was just going to fill up some water jugs for his family. My phone rang and Denada asked where I was. I told her I was where I was supposed to be at Arjona's and she said, "Oh, I thought I said Eri's. Sorry, my bad!" So, who knows what she said but I am so thankful that I got to see Sokol. We parted ways and I just smiled, so grateful that I walked 20 minutes out of my way in the dark to wait somewhere I was exactly supposed to be to cross paths with him.

I met up with Denada, Arjona, and Jonida for a walk along the water towards Vollga. We sat down at Cela, this knew gelateria and nibbled on some gelato and I couldn't help but have Salep. I missed that drink! From Left to Right: Arjona, Jonida, Me, Denada.
The Magical Albanian Wishing Well. Careful what you wish for! :o)
This is the view from the Cenollari's balcony. The left is the Port where the Ferry comes in from Italy and if you look just right of the center you will see a yellow and orange building. My apartment is the brighter yellow just to the right of that with the balcony facing the water.
Walking the girls to school. This is Flori, she has a very special place in my heart. Sporting one of my Gill Frills accessories of course!
Sukth. Sukth is just outside of Durres that requires me taking a 30 min bus ride to get to. This is where my dear dear friend Genta lives with her family. A place that I spent a lot of time at as a missionary. I walked up to the bus station in Durres and before I could open my mouth, the man right next to me said "Bus to Sukth", so I walked right on the bus was moving before I sat down. That was too easy. Usually you have to ask the Banana Man for help and then there is a wait. Not for me! I made it to Sukth, got off by the Shoe Factory and was greeted by a lovely young calf that was freshly skinned with his guts on the ground. Blood everywhere. Yes, that too made me smile. I walked down the street with a trail of school kids following me and familiar faces giving me double-triple takes. I went to her house, and saw that it was in ruins! I walked around back and went up to the house in the backyard, it was new. The door was open, but I saw the familiar couch and took off my shoes and walked in. I could hear her Mom say, "Hajde" or "Come in!" We met on the staircase and when Genta's Mom saw me she said, "Motra Keti!!!" It was wonderful. Genta had gone into town, but I got to see her new little girl that is just 1 month old named Suemi. Her Mom and I took Suemi for a walk to go see Genta's Aunt, "Tejza". She was at work cleaning when I walked up and when she saw me she started laughing while saying, "Motra Keti!". She put down her mop and hugged me while lifting me off the ground. We sat there for a few hours and just chatted and caught up. Like clock work after an hour, they said, "Do you need to go!?!" I reminded them that I wasn't on my mission anymore and that I could stay longer than an hour. They were so happy, begging me to stay with them for the night.
This house to the bottom left, now without a roof, is where Genta and her family were introduced to the Gospel. I spent once a week for 9 months at this house. Beautiful prayers and lessons were born in between those walls.
View from their roof.
Meet Gentjana. Gentjana, or Genta, just might be the strongest and most influential person from my mission. Her story, her family, her faith, her trials, her commitment, but most of all her attitude about it all has left such an intense impact on my heart and the kind of person I want to be. She is only 21 yrs old and if I had the life she's had, I don't know if I'd be as strong as she is. She is a spiritual giant and I look up to her in so many ways. She is a kindred spirit to me and I love her and have missed her terribly. The Lord brought the truth to her with my voice, but she taught me how to put it to use.
Genta and I talked for hours, and I am going back on Monday to stay with them for a night or two. Before I left and we kissed our Goodbyes Tejza said, "See you on Monday and be ready to dance all night long!" We danced a lot at their house, traditional Albanian dancing that is, in their small little living room. I will try and video it. From L to R: Arjona, Me, Genta, Mamaja, Tejza.
I would've stayed all day in Sukth, but was torn because I had scheduled and wanted to see this other sweet family: The Osmanallaraj Family. Lefterie, Nesibe, Mirejeta, Floriani. I met Lefterie and Nesibe in the road my first week in Durres. We invited them to the free English classes we were starting up and told them about Church, pointed them in the direction and what time it started. They were there the following Sunday, and every week afterwards. These two girls became my go-to girls. They were always there to help, go on splits, give lessons on their own when there were too many people at the church. Their first calling was to clean the black boards and organize the hymn books. Those two things were never done so carefully in all the history of the church. Meet Lefterie.
This is Nona. Nona doesn't live at the house, but when she heard I was there she came over to see me and wanted to show me her new teeth! She couldn't help but smile so big! She kept covering her mouth, she was so shy. My heart fell in love with her all over again. As you can see by what she is wearing, this Nena just isn't your average Albanian Nena that is dressed in black. She thinks it's silly to wear all black when you become widowed. She wears the white shawl over her head (which still has color on it btw), but other than that, she'd rather be as colorful as possible. We compliment each other's wardrobe often! She would love my curtain dress! :o)
L to R: Nona, Me, Flori, and Nesibe.
Last night, instead of eating dinner, I took the girls out on the town! Adriatik, who is now the 2nd counselor of the Branch, had some work to do with the Branch Presidency and Antoneta was watching a movie, so I stole the girls. We walked around and I told them that if they promised to eat at least some of the dinner their Mom made them that they could get whatever they wanted. Sipping chocolate and Tiramisu, were the winning choices. I got Salep, again.

6 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I am sorry to hear about our grandpa. The peace that the gospel brings gives us hope for better times.
    I am glad you made it back to Albania. I hope you have a great time visiting the people that made such an impact on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness I am so glad you are getting to see SOOO many loved ones. What a miracle! And how fun that they are so happy to see you! I can only imagine the hugs & tears & happy heart beats you are beating! I love that you took some Gills Frills accessories for them too... she could be a model. And... maybe you should buy a curtain from albania & I'll sew you another curtain dress? Maybe your Nonna has one? That is SO going to be you when you get old sweet cheeks... xoxoxo miss you but so glad you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting that you are where you are...say hello to the banana man! And everyone else too! We love you tons! Enjoy the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    It sounds like you are having the most wonderful time. What a blessing to be able to see so many wonderful people from your mission, and some as perfect 'accidents'. Keep having fun.
    Love you-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing, Katie! I admire your ability to be so adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O zemra, me ke bere per te qare me kete post te fundit duke pare njerezit ne shqiperi dhe ndjenjat qe ke ndare per to. te dua shume.

    ReplyDelete