Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Copenhagen Temple ~ Helsingborg, Sweden ~ Hamlet's Castle

Friday morning we woke up early to make it to the first temple session at the Copenhagen Temple. Unlike other temples that stand out against their surroundings, this Temple is definitely camouflaged with the other buildings which caused us to drive past it, again, but that Angel Moroni sure comes in handy. Inside, is a completely different story. I got chills and felt that familiar feeling that I have felt in every temple I have ever visited... that soft, reassuring, and peaceful feeling of being in the the Lord's House. The feeling that I was exactly where I was supposed to be. The artwork inside this temple is unlike any other I have seen. Symbolic, while telling stories at the same time. I loved it. The moment I left I took my journal and sketched all that I could so I wouldn't forget. It was a perfect start to the day... but isn't it always?


After the temple, we went looking for a place to eat but failed and ended up in Malmo, Sweden. We had planned on crossing over to Sweden for the day originally, but had hoped to at least have eaten before arriving there knowing we would have to find parking, a way to exchange currency, etc. That didn't happen and there we were in Malmo, starving, no one would accept our money and we couldn't find a bank anywhere. Hours passed, still hungry, still driving around looking for food. We eventually exchanged money at the train station and headed downtown for this festival that was supposed to be incredible. They had food from over 60 different countries so things started to look up especially when I found a Langos tent that had these pizza looking things, but they weren't pizza at all. I ordered Mr. Bombay: Pita with sour cream, shrimp, red onions, curry, pineapple, and some caviar. It was amazing. It is safe to quote myself as we got in the car, "The best thing about Malmo is whatever I ate!".

We walked around for a while, but everything we wanted to see closed at 1600 so we were simpy out of luck. We came across these street performers that made me laugh inside, especially to see all the people that were falling for their gig. I don't know their 'group name' so I shall call them "Bandana Panther Broken Feather". Their headresses were broken and falling apart, they had bandanas and napkins for loin clothes, and their dance... oh their dance! I think they were imitating what appeared to be a big cat, while tripping over each other, and this guy with this recorder... a recorder! Not even a reed instrument... I was dying. It was comical, embarrassing, and slightly offensive (being the Native American admirer that I am). Introducing Bandana Panther Broken Feather.

Some other snapshots around Malmo, Sweden.
We found our car and headed north to Helsinborg so we could catch a ferry back over to Denmark. As we got in the car I said, "Ok Sweden, you have some making up to do. Malmo was a flop!" Sweden was sure listening because 35 minutes later when we arrived in Helsinborg we were taken away by the beauty, architechture, and street market along the water front. There we go.
At the market, we met a couple from Great Britain who travel with their family candy business. This is the sample they gave us, which was actually delicious!
We caught the Scandline ferry from Helsinborg, Sweden to Helsingor, Denmark which brought us to the doorstep of Kronborg, my favorite castle. Known as Elsinore in Shakespeare's Hamlet, it is situated right on the sound on a peninsula in the shape of a shield. Built in the early 1400s with multiple walls and a large mote (with elegant white swans of course). One of the towers had been turned into a lighthouse, and the castle is used regularly by the Royal Family.
Leaving Helsinborg... I love being out at sea.
The spires and towers of Kronborg can be seen in the middle of this photo.
Happy toes... a familiar and longed for feeling.
Kronborg behind me.
The lighthouse tower...
Anchors away...
This photo captures the feeling of the evening. I can easily go back there when I close my eyes. The sun setting, sailboats in the sound, people fishing, Denmark's nautical flag waving proud, an ancient castle, the scent of the seaweed along the shore and the seabreeze on my face. Everything about this moment was perfect.
We lingered for quite a while here at Kronborg, then eventually made our way back down the coast of Denmark towards our campsite. It was getting late and we were hungry so we decided to stop at the first restaurant we stumbled upon. Little did I know I was about stumble upon a slice of heaven... literally. Pizza La Palma: Thin crust, lightly brushed with marinara, layers of rucola and prosciutto, with pesto, oregano, and peccorino on top.
"The BEST pizza I have ever had was made by a Croatian in Denmark!" - Me

1 comment:

  1. That pizza looks delicious... so so jealous and how funny it was in Denmark... not Italia! I hope you are having fun - by your many travels and adventures that you have written about I would say this is a once in a lifetime trip! I love how there is water everywhere!!! Hope your little gills are soaking it all up!
    xxoxoxoxoxoxo SS or LB... take your pick!

    ReplyDelete